Chief Operations Officer
Location:   Cincinnati, OH
Salary:   based on experience
POSITION TITLE: Chief Operations Officer
“Our diverse voices make us a vibrant community.”
“Together, we enhance experience and empower people.”
Are you experienced in building strategy, then executing and operationalizing it? Measuring a firm’s progress and effectiveness? Maintaining a firm’s administrative function including contracts/policies & procedures/facilities/Human Resources...all within a professional services industry?
CLIENT SUMMARY: Our client thinks about architecture differently – they look beyond the physical building and look for solutions that will solve the client’s problem instead of just building something. They care deeply about their culture and make decisions for the ‘greater good’ of the firm, not just one practice area. They are a professional services firm focused on innovating the essential building blocks of our communities - housing, healthcare, education, and cultural venues. With offices in Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Louisville and Beijing, China they are a global firm that has a passion for people and the environment. While they’ve been in business for over 50 years, they have an entrepreneurial spirit thatdrives their culture and practices.
JOB SUMMARY: The Chief Operations Officer is the “Chief Connector of Dots” across the firm. The COO reports to the CEO and has several direct reports. He/she is responsible for directing all the administrative functions of the firm in accordance with industry standards, regulatory agencies, and company objective and policies.
In addition, as a senior member of the leadership team, this position plays a key role in advancing the mission of the organization through development of strategies, management of processes, and analysis of progress towards achieving the firm’s goals. The COO is entrepreneurial, AND process focused; he/she will connect the dots across the firm and will provide ‘the way’ to get things accomplished.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the organization’s administrative functions and performance.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organization that will improve the overall operations and effectiveness of the firm.
- Provide technical/professional advice and knowledge to others within the various administrative areas and disciplines.
- Advise, negotiate, manage and administer all contracts into which the corporation may enter; counsel with the CFO, Market Directors and Project Managers on the legal and financial matters associated with such contracts.
- Evaluate the present and future needs for real estate, owned or leased, on a worldwide basis; determining adequacy of location from the perspective of marketing and sales, logistics and human resources for both present and future needs.
- Manage facilities including building maintenance, support operations including travel, fleet and records management.
- Manage shareholder activities including record keeping and the legal aspects of the corporate secretarial functions.
- Mitigate risk through effective management of firm insurance programs.
- Oversee the entire human resources function and activities but manage all of the specific activities pertaining to the officers of the corporation.
- Evaluate the administrative structure and team plan for continual improvement of efficiency and effectiveness of the group as well as providing individuals with professional and personal growth opportunities
Strategy and business development
- Participate in the development of the organization’s plans and programs as a tactical partner in evaluating and advising on the impact of long-range planning.
- Evaluate and support possible new markets for the company.
- Provide analysis of business trends, proposals and budgets in order to assist the CEO/President and the board and other senior executives in performing their responsibilities; assessing viability of new business opportunities and return on investment.
- Oversee startup of new business ventures to ensure seamless delivery throughout transition to operations; developing operational infrastructure to support new business growth of the firm.
IDEAL CANDIDATES’ QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Fifteen or more years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in several of the administrative areas and at the highest level of a corporation;
- An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards;
- A strategic visionary with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgement and strong operational focus;
- An intelligent and articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization;
- Knowledge of contracting, negotiating, and change management;
- Ability to read, analyze an interpret the most complex documents;
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquires;
- Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on controversial or complex topics;
- Master’s degree in business administration, accounting or finance preferred.
Exceptional benefits and PTO approach. The firm will offer some relocation.