Director, External Financial Reporting
Location:   Dayton OH
Salary:   $140k - $150k + bonus opportunity
Last Updated:   December 5, 2018
CLIENT SUMMARY: Our client, Verso Corp., is a leading North American producer of printing papers, specialty papers and pulp. Based in Dayton Ohio, the public company reports 2.5 Billion in sales with over 4,000 employees at 9 locations/plants across the US.
The corporate accounting department seeks a Director, External Financial Reporting to join their team. The Director will lead the financial reporting process and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) compliance. The primary functions of this role will be to lead the interpretation and implementation of new SEC guidance, ensure performance of various aspects of Sarbanes-Oxley compliance and act as a primary advisory consultant to business units and corporate functions on related matters.
The Director will manage 1-2 analysts, report to the Sr Director Financial reporting, and work with an exceptional accounting team comprised of corporate and technical accounting peers.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
•Direct the preparation and issuance of quarterly and annual SEC filings (10-K, 10-Q) and assist with other SEC filings as needed (8-K, Proxy, Registration Statements, etc.)
•Direct the preparation of supporting documentation for SEC financial disclosures
•Research, interpret and implement new SEC rules and related guidance
•Manage SEC reporting system and XBRL reporting process
•Assist in preparation of presentations to senior management and the audit committee
•Direct the consolidation and financial reporting process
•Lead the preparation of various complex, confidential and time-critical analyses
•Assume the lead role in certain financing, merger, acquisition and disposition activities
•Assist in technical accounting matters
•Assist investor relations in the communication and coordination with outside investor activities
•Be an advisory consultant to business units and corporate functions on various matters
IDEAL CANDIDATES’ QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS in Accounting or Finance required, MBA preferred
- CPA required
- 10+ years of experience in SEC compliance required with 6 or more of those years in a public accounting firm preferred. Manufacturing Industry experience a plus.
- Strong knowledge of SEC rules and regulations (e.g., Forms 10-Q, 10-K, 8-K, S-4, etc.)
- Thorough technical knowledge of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Ability to provide direction to Financial Reporting staff and others in the research of external reporting and disclosure matters
- Experience with SAP and/or Wdesk and/or Workiva helpful
- Strong leadership skills and business acumen
- Ability to communicate directly with upper management
- Proven conflict resolution skills with strong coaching and training/development skills
- Attention to detail with a sense of urgency and meeting deadlines