HR Manager - Warehousing/Distribution
Location:   Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky
Salary:   based on experience
Our client is one of the largest privately held companies in Cincinnati. They have multiple facilities in the Cincinnati/NKY area and in the Atlanta, GA area with over 2,000 employees and divisions that include manufacturing, warehousing, supply chain/logistics, and transportation. Over 100 years old, they are entering a period of tremendous growth that encompasses new products and services, expansion into new geographies, and new talent and systems across the company.
We are seeking an HR Manager to join one the divisions within this company. This division has 175 employees, 30% salaried. They are a two-shift operation. There is a union on site, but relations are good, and the facility is run more like a non-union facility. There have been no grievances in over 5 years.
The role will report to the controller, but there is room to grow potentially into the management team (and report to the GM) of the division as well as many opportunities for growth within the larger company. You will manage an HR Specialist. As the majority of operations as locally based, there is little or no travel.
This role is all about the PEOPLE! The right candidate will:
- Have strong HR technical skills—focused on recruiting, ER, Compliance, and culture building
- Be collaborative –both with hourly staff, supervisors, and the management team. Be a business partner. Provide council and guidance to the management team.
- Be a self-starter! Take ideas and projects and run with them! Come up with ideas on your own on how to make the work environment better for all! But also, be able to executive these ideas/projects and see them through to successful completion.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise recruitment efforts for all exempt, nonexempt and temporary workers; maintain relationships/agreements with external partners including staffing agencies.
- Prepare position descriptions, ensure FLSA classification compliance and oversee job evaluations.
- Administer and interpret labor agreements, administer grievance procedures, and provide labor relations support during contract negotiations.
- Provide advice and counsel to managers and supervisors regarding personnel practices, policies, and employment laws.
- Manage progressive discipline process by reviewing and drafting performance improvement plans, considering past discipline, giving recommendations, and approving employment terminations.
- Support resolution of employee complaints and disputes by conducting and documenting investigations as necessary and recommending appropriate action.
- Ensure that employee requests for time off and accommodation are handled in accordance with FMLA, ADA, and corporate requirements.
- Provide training regarding employment law, performance management, and other topics as necessary.
- Unemployment: Administer unemployment insurance processes, including responses and hearings, reviews liability reports, and monitors costs.
- Workers Compensation: In partnership with Corporate Safety Officer and Workers Comp Partners, administer workers’ compensation and OSHA claims, complaints, and reporting.
- Payroll: Ensure data is entered correctly for weekly payroll including, pay rates and time off requests, and reimbursements.
- Physical Evaluations and Drug Testing: Administer random drug testing for warehouse and transportation employees in according to company safety protocol and DOT regulations.
- Benefits: Partner with benefits administrators to review billing and respond to inquiries regarding enrollment, changes, and coverages.
- Reporting & Invoices: Extract data from various sources for manual reporting on weekly and monthly basis. Review and approve invoices from various service providers.
- Compliance: Ensure overall legal and corporate compliance with HR recordkeeping, reporting and employee notices.
IDEAL CANDIDATES’ QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, human resources, or related field
- 5+ years of Human Resources experience with emphasis on employee relations is preferred
- Experience in manufacturing, warehousing, distribution or logistics industry mandatory
- Experience with Paycor, Newton, and/or Alchemy helpful