President & CEO, Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio
Location:   Cincinnati, OH
Salary:   based on experience
Last Updated:   December 3, 2018
- Do you have a passion to improve women’s and men’s health, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible reproductive healthcare decisions?
- Do you welcome the opportunity to be the face of an organization and a community-wide advocate with a diverse group of stakeholders?
- Have you played a leadership role in successful fundraising campaigns?
- Are you calm under pressure and able to face a steady barrage of legal, regulatory and political challenges?
- Have you managed through a period of transformational change and provided a steady hand and clear vision?
- Have you worked closely with an engaged Board and a passionate group of active volunteers?
About Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio Region:
Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio Region's mission is to provide access to high quality affordable health care and education that empower people to make informed private decisions about their reproductive lives and sexual health. Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio is one of 56 locally governed affiliates of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America.
For almost 90 years, Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio has been the leading reproductive health care provider, educator and advocate for communities within 23 counties of Greater Cincinnati, Dayton and Northern Kentucky. Seven health centers in the region provide a wide range of reproductive health care services to tens of thousands of women and men which translates into over 35,000 separate appointments during last fiscal year. As a vital part of the community, Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio has earned the trust of more than 20,000 patients annually, more than 6,000 donors and supporters, and thousands of advocates and volunteers. There is a ‘movement’ taking place and many people are coming off the sidelines to support Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio – in fact, their donor list has increased by about 600 people this year.
The organization is embarking on a new journey in collaboration with multiple affiliates that will improve access to care and provide a broader array of services across the system. The next President & CEO will play a key role in the creation and execution of this transformational strategy.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- Be the face of the organization with a diverse group of community stakeholders
- Serve as a passionate spokesperson for the organization with the media, political leaders, community activists, and other key stakeholders.
- Represent Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio at community-wide initiatives focused on family health, elimination of poverty and other issues relevant to the mission.
- Explore and cultivate partnerships with other agencies that share common goals.
- Lead and manage the Senior Team
- Provide leadership and direct management to the Senior Team, including the Medical Director, Assistant Medical Director, VP of Patient Services, VP of Development and Community Impact, Chief Financial Officer, VP of Marketing and Communications, and the VP of Education.
- Establish clearly defined performance expectations and feedback for all direct reports.
- Provide opportunities for training and development to promote personal growth and enable staff to meet high standards of performance.
- Provide strategic leadership
- Work collaboratively with the Board and the Senior Team on the creation and regular updating of the strategic plan.
- Represent the organization, along with Board leadership, in collaboration with other affiliates to improve access to reproductive healthcare services.
- Play a prominent role in fundraising and development
- Partner with the VP of Development and Community Impact to cultivate relationships with key donors and prospects.
- Increase Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio’s visibility in the business and non-profit communities to support development efforts.
- Engage with staff and patients to develop compelling stories that will resonate with potential donors.
- Provide financial direction and oversight
- Ensure that the organization is well-run and fiscally responsible.
- Work closely with the CFO and the Senior Team to set budgets and annual operating plans.
- Keep the Board informed regarding all pertinent financial issues.
- Facilitate Board engagement
- Develop a close working relationship with the Board Chair and full Board focusing on critical strategic challenges and opportunities.
- Engage the Board in keys areas including advocacy, fundraising, and strategic planning.
- Provide input and assistance in recruiting new Board members as openings occur.
- Manage legal, regulatory, and advocacy efforts
- Partner with outside counsel to address all legal and regulatory issues in a calm, measured fashion.
- Drive advocacy efforts at the local, state and federal levels in conjunction with other Planned Parenthood partners, subject to applicable regulations.
- Translate and communicate important issues to the staff to avoid uncertainty or speculation.
- Ensure that all employees feel safe while at work
- Provide calm, confident leadership in a politically charged, ever-changing environment.
THE KEY REQUIREMENTS:
- Passionate commitment to the mission of Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio.
- Demonstrated results in meaningful fundraising for a non-profit organization.
- Ability to navigate complex legal and regulatory issues.
- An engaged management style that focuses on development, mentorship, and ongoing communication.
- Well-networked in the region’s non-profit, philanthropic and business communities, or the demonstrated success accomplishing this in another region.
- Eager to embrace new technology.
- Senior level management experience in the business or non-profit sectors.
- Experience being the face of an organization with employees, key stakeholders and in the general community.
- Success leading an organization or large team through transformational change.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors.
- Strong financial acumen.
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree a plus.
- Calm under pressure
- Sense of humor
- Clear communicator
- Humble, yet confident
- Good listener
- Make an impact on the everyday lives of patients.
- Work collaboratively with a passionate group of staff members, Board members and volunteers.
- Apply your strategic abilities and creativity to help improve access to reproductive healthcare services.
- Take a stand on key issues that matter to you.
- Work in a fast-paced, high energy, dynamic environment with a team who is passionate about the mission.