Vice President Custom Applications Development and Management
Location:   Cincinnati, OH
Salary:   $180,000-$200,000 Base + significant bonus opportunity
Last Updated:   February 1, 2019
The Federal Home Loan Bank of Cincinnati (“FHLB Cincinnati”) is a regional wholesale bank providing financial services for residential housing and economic development to 653 member stockholders in the FHLB System’s Fifth District of Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee. Eligible stockholders include banks, thrifts, credit unions, insurance companies and community development financial institutions. They are one of 11 Federal Home Loan Banks nationwide, a system created by Congress in 1932 to support housing finance.
The Mission of the FHLB Cincinnati is to provide member-stockholders with financial services and a competitive return on their capital investment to help them facilitate and expand housing finance and community investment and achieve their objectives for liquidity and asset liability management.
FHLB Cincinnati seeks a VP Applications Development and Management to join their Information Technology team. The VP is responsible to plan, coordinate, and supervise all activities related to the design, development, implementation of organizational information systems and software applications. The VP is also responsible for maintaining, supporting, and upgrading existing business systems and applications in use at FHLB Cincinnati. Most of these applications are custom developed and maintained in house with a staff of 20+ application developers and managers.
This individual will apply proven communication skills, problem-solving skills, and knowledge of best practices to guide his/her development team on issues related to the design, development, and deployment of mission-critical information and software systems that support FHLB Cincinnati. This is a senior leadership role within the IT organization reporting directly to the Vice President, Assistant Chief Information Officer.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead and manage the development and deployment of custom FHLB Cincinnati applications, systems software, and/or enhancements to existing applications throughout the enterprise.
- Evaluate and recommend modern application strategies to include cloud development and hosting, packaged applications delivered via cloud services. Support efforts to reduce technical debt for the organization as modern application strategies evolve.
- Recruit, lead, manage, mentor and develop the application development officers (ADO’s) in support of FHLB Cincinnati’s business operations. Build succession plans and staffing plans for future sustainability and growth.
- Track, Report and Ensure that development projects meet business requirements and goals, fulfill end-user requirements, and identify and resolve systems issues.
- Collaborate and interact with other IT groups and system owners to ensure testing of software applications meets the Bank’s quality expectations.
- Review and analyze existing applications’ effectiveness and efficiency, and then develop strategies/roadmaps and plans for improving or leveraging these systems.
- Lead the technical resources who are responsible for developing, improving, implementing and maintaining the IT strategic roadmap for matters related to software development.
- Research and make recommendations on software products and services in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Coordinate and conduct annual application fitness surveys for software and systems, and give advice to business stakeholders based on findings.
- Responsible to establish and maintain key partnerships with external partners and vendors who provide technology or services to the systems & programming teams.
- Ensure that any new software integration into company systems meets functional requirements, system compliance, and interface specifications.
- Cultivate, disseminate, and enforce functional policies, procedures, and quality assurance best practices.
- Track, reconcile, and report on development demand versus ability to supply resources. Where appropriate make recommendations to resolve gaps or major risks.
- Prepare, establish, and monitor IT budgets for the Bank’s Systems & Programming department.
IDEAL CANDIDATES’ QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- 15+ years of equivalent work experience with 10+ years of experience in software development leadership that includes direct management of both application developers and application developer leads/managers.
- Experience with leading and managing CUSTOM application architecture, development, and maintenance required.
- Proven experience in overseeing the direction, development, and implementation of software solutions.
- Understanding of IT systems designs and supporting business processes.
- Knowledge and understanding of automated software and system management tools.
- Strong knowledge of system and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies.
- Extensive experience with core software applications, including general ledgers, ERP, HR systems, portfolio management and risk management systems.
- Good project management skills and/or substantial exposure to project-based work structures, project lifecycle models, etc.
- Proven customer-service and business relationship skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion. Promotes an environment of empathy and respect. Champions diversity at all levels of team members and in the selection of business partners and practices inclusion in all areas of responsibility. Understands how D&I supports and contributes to the overall strategy and business results.
- Able to multi-task and coordinate multiple simultaneous project streams; manage and meet established project time-lines.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a highly regulated banking environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, cross-functional matrix organization and collaborative environment.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Knowledge of cybersecurity principles and information security risks.
- Experience with audits and setting expectations regarding readiness, remediation, and resolution of potential audit findings related to IT Teams.
- Experience with building data & analytic environments and applications to support key company metrics and turning data into a strategic asset for the organization.