CFO and COO, Under the Weather
Location:   Cincinnati, OH
Salary:   based on experience
- Would you like to join the leadership team of a small, innovative, high-growth company?
- Can you be in the trenches in the morning and debate strategy in the afternoon?
- Do you have an owner’s mentality, with a passion to win and instinct to treat every dollar as your own?
- Can you bring your expertise, but leave your larger-company baggage behind?
Under the Weather® (“UTW”; https://utwpods.com/) sells a wide range of pop-up, portable pods, including a new line of Safety Pods developed in response to COVID-19. CEO and founder, Rick Pescovitz, created a new category in Outdoor Sports with his invention of the first patented WeatherPod™ in 2010. Since then, UTW has continued to lead the category with new, innovative designs and products, with 100+ product styles and colors currently available. UTW products are sold through multiple channels including ecommerce (its website and third-party marketplace) as well as certain big box retailers. UTW has experienced significant growth which is expected to continue.
This is a hands-on, dual finance / operating role in a small but rapidly growing company. The CFO/COO will need to scale frequently between tactical and strategic tasks. As examples of the former, the CFO/COO will oversee billing and invoice payments and ensure vendors provide required value at a competitive cost. As an example of the latter, the CFO/COO will anticipate and evaluate infrastructure investments necessary to sustain profitable growth and advise owners in that regard.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide advice and guidance to owners including financial analysis and decision support regarding new investments and business opportunities
- Develop and maintain effective financial planning rigor including budgets and interim income and cash flow forecasts
- Monitor cash flow and oversee cash management activities
- Oversee timely and accurate financial reporting and present results with insights to ownership and Board of Advisors
- Oversee recording of transactions, account reconciliations, accounts payables and accounts receivables functions, CAT tax and royalty reporting
- Ensure a sound internal control environment, coordinate audit activities and maintain compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements
- Anticipate regulatory changes (Wayfair Act, B2B sales tax, tariffs, etc.) and provide advice to owners re: necessary actions
- Recommend / implement actions to augment future financial results
- Review and negotiate vendor and service contracts
- Manage professional partner relationships with audit, banking, insurance providers
- Supervise Supply Chain and Warehouse Managers - ensure WMS is fully leveraged, service providers are value/cost appropriate, evaluate and improve receiving, warehousing, shipping activities
IDEAL CANDIDATES’ QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Fifteen years + progressive financial management experience including Controllership roles
- Significant work history in privately-owned companies under $100mm revenue
- Operational or Financial leadership experience in a rapid growth company
- Prior management responsibility for some operational (i.e. non-administrative) functions
- MBA or CPA
- Finance or operations experience in a company that distributes through retail channels
- Experience with product importing and knowledge of tariffs
EVIDENT PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:
- Entrepreneurial, cost conscious DNA
- Ability to effectively scale frequently between strategic and tactical issues
- Proactive, forward looking, self-starting
- Humility, humor and optimism
- Hands-on and engaging; willing to roll up your sleeves
- Aligned with the mission and vision of the company
- Strong communication skills
- Have a direct impact on the success and growth of the business
- Enjoy the culture of a small, entrepreneurial, family-owned business
- Achieve professional and financial growth