CFO & VP Corporate Strategy
Location:   Cincinnati, OH
Salary:   Base + Bonus
- Are you a seasoned financial executive with strong strategic acumen ?
- Do you ALSO enjoy getting your boots dirty and engaging / communicating with non-finance colleagues ?
- Do you have an owner’s mentality, with a passion to win and instinct to treat every dollar as your own?
Our Midwest client has been family run for over 75 years, providing core materials to Commercial and Residential Building Contractors, Heavy Construction & Paving Contractors, Site Developers & Excavators, Concrete and Asphalt Producers, in a five-state area.
Reporting directly to the President, the CFO is responsible for leading, planning, implementing, and advising on all finance-related activities. However, the CFO is more than the fiscal steward… he/she will play a critical role in determining strategic direction and in that regard will have significant and frequent interaction with the President, corporate leadership, and family ownership.
Assisted by a small team which includes a strong Controller, the CFO will provide recommendations and analyses to the leadership team and develop and execute financial policies consistent with strategy. The CFO will work with the on-site management to ensure the smooth functioning of the planning, reporting, and control systems and will provide advice and support to business unit leaders on finance related issues. Together with the Controller, the CFO will manage the relationships with outside advisors including financial institutions, external auditors, and regulators and tax authorities.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure that plans are in place to create maximum value for the company from its current businesses and assess the value creation potential of plans on an ongoing basis.
- Establish financial measurement standards and develop systems to monitor performance against goals.
- Support the development of corporate expansion strategies and develop perspectives on market opportunities in closely related businesses.
- Act as a sounding board for the President.
- Conduct business and financial evaluations of specific growth opportunities (e.g. land, joint ventures, acquisitions) and execute transactions and related financing for worthy ventures)
Financial Policy and Financing
- Develop value-creating capital structure and dividend policy recommendations
- Develop and pursue opportunities to reduce corporate and shareholder taxes
- Effectively communicate key elements of the corporate plans and performance to the financial community
- Negotiate and execute all major financing arrangements
Financial Management - Planning, Reporting and Control (with the assistance of the Controller):
- Coordinate preparation of short-term operating budgets
- Ensure all external reporting and compliance obligations are fulfilled and timely reporting of key performance measures for each profit unit
- Ensure all locations have adequate management controls in place
- Evaluate location and cost center performance
- Monitor and manage working capital to optimal levels
- Maintain strong day to day relationships with banks
- Develop talent within the finance team and enhance financial literacy throughout the organization
- Identify and develop scorecards and relevant analytics to ensure all functions have access to the best information to set goals, make decisions, and monitor performance
- Evaluate the current technology, processes, and procedures and optimize/automate as much as possible
- Participate in M&A activity as appropriate
- Be a constant learner, willing to get involved in additional business functions
IDEAL CANDIDATES’ QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree with 10-20 years finance experience, ideally 5+ years in financial leadership roles
- Master’s degree and CPA certification preferred
- Experience in capital intensive businesses
- Energetic, forward-thinking, and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image
- Strategic visionary with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus
- Well-organized and self-directed
- Collaborative team-player, but also decisive
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to relate and clearly communicate with people at all organizational levels
- Passion for developing talent and teaching/mentoring
- Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations
- Strongly preferred, not required:
- Family business experience
- Excellent negotiation skills with experience in contracts
- Construction or related industry experience