Chief Financial Officer
Location:   Cincinnati, OH
Salary:   based on experience
- Be a part of an organization that is invested in skill-based education that builds and prepares a future workforce.
- Combine your strategic and hands-on experience in the finance leadership role to support the future growth of a complex organization that is an educator, retailer, distributor and financial service provider.
- Use your strong leadership skills to manage a team of four in accounting and IT.
Nūrtūr is looking to add a business-oriented and experienced “hands-on” finance leader who thrives in a fast-paced environment and has a successful track record of building people and organizational capabilities for a growing company.
ABOUT NURTUR HOLDINGS:
The Nūrtūr companies were founded in 2004 to create the most successful entrepreneurs in the professional beauty, skin and body care, and wellness industries. The mission of Nūrtūr is to inspire and educate our students, our team and our guests about beauty, fashion, wellness, and environmental responsibility. Nūrtūr is committed to fostering an environment of respect and trust in order to allow students and team members to express their individuality and creativity.
A core part of the Nūrtūr companies are the Aveda Institutes located in Cincinnati, OH, Columbus, OH, Indianapolis, IN, Chapel Hill, NC and Los Angeles, CA, and growing. In addition to the institutes, additional business opportunities are being developed.
At their Institutes, the salon and spa are the classroom. Students receive invaluable, hands-on experience while providing services to a trendy and diverse clientele. When students graduate, they are prepared for a profitable and fulfilling career in the beauty industry.
The Aveda Institutes and their students have won numerous awards including Modern Salon Magazine’s Excellence in Education Award for Advanced Education, School Culture, PBA Beacon Awards and placement. The Aveda Institute and experience is one of the best cosmetology schools in the country.
In addition, the Aveda Institute provides full salon and spa services performed by supervised students participating in the best cosmetology education program available. Guest patronage supports students as they work toward a career in the beauty industry. Best of all, guests can get great quality services at an affordable price.
But more than that, they’re committed to the values put forth by their founder Horst Rechelbacher, to encourage a lifetime of learning, environmental responsibility, and giving back to society.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
Reporting directly to the President, the CFO will be responsible for the administrative, financial, and risk management operations of the company, to include the development of a financial and operational strategy, metrics tied to that strategy, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve company assets and report accurate financial results. Key areas of focus include: Financial Reporting, Risk Management/Compliance, Information Technology (IT), Treasury/Cash Management, Strategic Planning and Forecasting, Lease and Fixed Asset Management, and Merger & Acquisition activities.
LEADERSHIP & PEOPLE DEVELOPMENT: Uphold the Nūrtūr Core Values and Behaviors and Aveda Success Factors by cultivating an environment where team members respect and adhere to company core values. Supports growing the Nūrtūr “Culture” by hiring and developing top talent in all assigned functions to achieve Nūrtūr’s organizational goals. Provides leadership to and management of direct / indirect reports including mentorship and development aligned with their individual development plans (IDP). Sets clear vision for the future and the work required to achieve the vision. Facilitates and leads regularly scheduled meetings, huddles, and one-on-ones with direct / indirect reports to help ensure priorities are clear and everyone is working on the right things to achieve the vision.
PLANNING: Provides advice, counsel, and support in helping to formulate the company’s strategic direction, as well as support tactical initiatives designed to achieve the organization’s goals. Monitors and directs the implementation of the strategic business plans from a financial, compliance, and administrative standpoint. Develops, monitors, and reports on performance measures designed to support the company’s strategic direction.
OPERATIONS: Leads, directs and manages all aspects of the following focus areas: financial reporting, risk management/compliance, IT, treasury/cash management, strategic planning and forecasting, lease and fixed asset management and merger & acquisition activities. This includes ensuring the finance infrastructure is designed to faciliate accurate and timely financial reporting including the evaluation of all systems. Oversees the financial operations of all subsidiary companies, as well as all the company’s transaction processing systems. Analyzes, develops and implements operational best practices to ensure best in class results.
CASH MANAGEMENT: Develops and monitors cash and operating forecast models and tools to ensure the company is properly capitalized. Arranges and manages debt and equity financing, where appropriate. Monitors banking activities of the organization. Ensures adequate cash flow to meet the organization’s needs.
FINANCIAL REPORTING: Oversees the management, coordination and issuance of all financial information ensuring compliance with US GAAP accounting rules, as well as all other federal and state laws.
RISK MANAGEMENT: Understands and mitigates risk within the brand through careful monitoring of insurance levels, legal matters, compliance requirements, etc. Monitors all open legal issues involving the company, and legal issues impacting the industry. Develops, maintains, and monitors reliable internal controls to safeguard financial assets of the organization. Ensures full compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements, as well as ensures the company’s recordkeeping meets the requirements of the auditors and government agencies. Maintains positive relations with external auditors and investigates their findings and recommendations
THE KEY REQUIREMENTS:
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills, Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business administration or equivalent business work experience.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
- 10+ years of progressive financial and management experience; Title IV experience preferred; Non-profit/for profit higher education experience desirable
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting, risk management, treasury, strategic planning and forecasting, lease and fixed asset management.
- Self-motivated, ability to set priorities, multi-task, pivot easily as priorities change and follow through to meet the demands of multiple constituencies.
- Strong project management skills to help drive projects forward to completion with flawless execution
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following
- Is passionate about Nūrtūr’s mission and culture.
- Ability to create and articulate an inspiring vision for the organization, not only for the areas s/he is directly responsible for, but the organization as a whole.
- Ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage performance; proven track record of strong developer of people
- Hands-on leader willing and able to roll up their sleeves to help the team as they toggle between strategy and tactical activities
- Ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing the organization to improved performance; tenacious and accountable in driving results.
- A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in his/her approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization.
- Has the ability to connect projects/programs and KPIs to business outcomes and has the ability to implement a strategic framework aligning people and processes.
- Is an assertive leader with the ability to use relevant facts to engage with impact.
- Has experience leading organizations through growth, understanding potential challenges with ability to proactively manage through them.
- Experience working with mergers & acquisitions that accounts for the required negotiations and integration from systems, tools, process, and people.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainly; the ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations.
- Ability to persevere in the face of challenges and exhibit a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to higher standards, which commands respect from followers.
- Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.