The Corporation for Findlay Market - Chief Executive Officer
Location:   Cincinnati, OH
Salary:   $150,000 - $175,000 plus bonus and competitive benefits package
- Are you a people-oriented operations leader who wants to empower and inspire a community?
- Are you comfortable and excited about engaging with funders, government, community leaders and key stakeholders—especially Findlay Market merchants?
- Are you excited about being a steward of one of Cincinnati’s greatest assets—its historic public market?
- Can you build upon a thriving and inclusive neighborhood through the market and its food innovation and entrepreneurship programs?
ABOUT FINDLAY MARKET
The Corporation for Findlay Market (CFFM) is a 501c3 organization charged with management and operations of the historic market house and the surrounding Findlay Market District. Findlay Market is Ohio's oldest continuously operated public market and one of Cincinnati's most cherished institutions, welcoming more than one million visitors each year.
Linking Uptown with Downtown, Findlay Market is a vibrant living landmark at the heart of Cincinnati's future. Located in Over-the-Rhine, a dense, historic neighborhood rich in 19th century architecture, Findlay Market remains the region’s premier source for fresh—and often local—food of high quality and consistent value. The heart of Findlay Market is its more than 50 full-time merchants selling meat, fish, poultry, produce, flowers, cheese, deli, and international foods, complemented by seasonal produce supplied by local farmers. In addition, the market is a springboard for incubation and development of new food-related businesses and job creation.
The CEO reports to the Board of Directors and manages a budget of $4m. The CEO leads the execution and delivery of the market’s strategic plan and oversees a 50-person organization including five direct reports. Key to CFFM’s current and future success is the execution of the primary objectives of the strategic plan.
- Provide an environment for independent food-related businesses to thrive—supporting merchants’ success.
- Chart the course toward financial independence for CFFM.
- Support the development of new businesses through start, grow and scale phases.
- Preserve and expand the connection with the OTR neighborhood, the Cincinnati community, and its shoppers.
- Care for and protect the historic market house and its surrounding property.
The CEO will provide strategic and financial leadership along with staff leadership and development while creating an inclusive and equitable environment within and surrounding the Findlay Market District, specifically:
- Drive the update and execution of the market’s strategic plan
- Position the organization for long-term growth and operational excellence.
- Be the ‘face’ of the organization and ensure that Corporation for Findlay Market is at the table for key discussions about the development of the neighborhood and surrounding community.
- Engage and leverage the talent of the Board of Directors to support organizational goals
- Develop a path to financial independence for CFFM, including new opportunities for earned revenue.
- Support the Director of Finance in providing timely reports on the financial health and performance across all aspects of CFFM Business.
- Evaluate opportunities for growth and pruning to ensure a healthy organization.
- Evaluate the expansion of staff for the organization, while maintaining organizational financial goals.
Staff Leadership and Development
- Attract, develop and retain top talent for the organization.
- Align organizational policies, benefits, and programs to meet the needs/goals of top talent.
- Ensure staff understands their role, associated goals, strategies and measures, and are equipped with the resources necessary to deliver results.
Innovation and Food Entrepreneurs
- Support the Director, Food Innovation to set the goals for supporting food entrepreneurs to start, grow and scale.
- Identify the resources needed to deliver robust offerings enabling current and future businesses to thrive.
Fundraising and Development
- Set the vision for the organization and align funding requests to meet the needs for organizational growth.
- Develop relationships with funders—institutional and individual--to increase philanthropic support for Findlay Market.
- Support the Director, Development to set and attain organizational fundraising goals.
- Partner with the Director, Development to make key asks and close the deal.
Equity and Inclusion
- Maintain a laser focus on market offerings to serve a broad range of customers across the economic spectrum.
- Identify opportunities to grow support for women, minority and immigrant owned business at Findlay Market.
- Provide development opportunities to attract, develop and retain a diverse talent pool within CFFM.
- Support Director, Market Management to build strong and streamlined market operations, and deliver quality results for a safe, clean and beautiful Findlay Market.
- Ensure the stewardship of the physical market house and surrounding properties to produce an environment that allows for small businesses to start, grow and scale in the Findlay Market District.
- Support Director, Communications and Strategic Initiatives to develop messaging that is inclusive and supports the vision that CFFM would like to project into the community.
- Develop deep community relationships that further the mission of Findlay Market.
IDEAL CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Authentic connection to the mission of the Corporation for Findlay Market
- P&L responsibility for a $2m+ budget is strongly preferred
- Demonstration of being the face of an organization that has resulted in strong community relationships across public, nonprofit, and private sectors to produce effective collaboration
- Meaningful track record of leading the strategic direction and growth of an organization
- Understand real estate development and financing
- Commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment
- Experience working with and engaging a nonprofit board
- Demonstrated experience working with development team to raise philanthropic funds to support a mission
- Evidence of attracting, developing, empowering, and retaining strong leadership talent
- Experience thriving in a robust and diverse urban community
- Entrepreneurial drive required; bringing a sense of urgency, ownership and follow through to all work
- Skill and experience in program management, and leading effective teams
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Effective problem-solving and mediation skills
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to cope with conflict, stress, and crisis situations
- Must be able to work some non-traditional hours, including evenings and weekends
KEY PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Strategic thinker
- People motivator
- Willing to step in to ‘do the work’
- Mission driven
- Charismatic, can influence others
- Can delegate to a trusted team
- Engaging with all stakeholders
- Relationship builder
- Flexible, comfortable with change
- Calm under pressure, adept at de-escalation, able to have hard conversations
- Solution focused
- Accessible, open-door leadership
- A trusted community partner
- Good listener
- Decisive when necessary
- Build on the legacy of one of Cincinnati’s most cherished community assets, heralded by Newsweek as “one of the top ten markets in the world.”
- Lead and develop a passionate and talented senior management team.
- Challenge your operational skills while also leveraging your strategic and entrepreneurial acumen.
Gilman Partners is committed to strengthening leadership teams and elevating the talent in our communities – and that means all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, ability, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or national origin. You don’t have to meet every qualification in this job description to apply. If you’re drawn to the position and believe your experience makes you a good fit, we encourage you to reach out.
Competitive benefits and relocation assistance provided