Controller - Skyline Chili
Location:   Cincinnati, OH
Salary:   based on experience
Skyline Chili is a mid-sized restaurant chain based in Cincinnati, Ohio with approximately 140 units in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, and Florida. The Company is privately owned by senior management and board members and has generated consistent top and bottom-line growth. Skyline celebrated its 70th Anniversary in 2019 and is proud to have earned unparalleled customer loyalty. The strength of Skyline’s brand comes from a unique but limited number of food offerings based on a signature secret recipe chili and best in class hospitality and service. The Skyline restaurant system is 75% franchised and 25% Company-owned. Revenue is also generated through sales of signature chili products to an expanding number of grocery locations throughout the United States.
We are seeking a Controller to oversee all accounting, financial reporting and analyses, annual business planning, payroll and regulatory/legal compliance functions and activities. Reporting to the Sr. Vice President-Finance, CFO, you will also manage regulatory/legal compliance functions and activities and lead a team of four.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Supervise Accounting Functions:
- Administer Sage ERP system
- Accounts payable/disbursements
- Customer sales orders/invoicing/collections
- Fixed asset accounting
- Inventory control and costing, including periodic physical counts of production inventory
- Cash management and accounting
- Payroll processing, including all government tax filings for over 1,000 employees
- Lead overall Skyline annual business planning process
- Ohio/Kentucky sales tax returns
- Ohio CAT tax returns
- Annual insurance renewal support
- Annual ACA 1094/1095 reporting
- Federal government census reporting
- Lead accounting processes daily and support 3-day period-end closing process
- Support the preparation of and review of period/year-end financial statements
- Maintain effective accounting control processes including account reconciliations
- Oversee and coordinate the annual audit by outside accounting firm
- Ideal candidate will be a positive leader, a self-starter and self-directed to take full advantage of the wide range of opportunity. Someone who takes great pride in their work and is dedicated to a high level of professionalism.
- Sufficient people skills to be a problem solver through people. Someone who takes pride in supporting subordinates’ achievements and recognition.
- Able to effectively interact with people having a wide range of business acumen; from the sophisticated-board members/senior management to the unsophisticated- some restaurant operators/franchisees and production staff
- Someone who has a passion for business and using data to make business dynamics come alive, tell a story, and make actionable sense to non-financial people.
- Someone who “owns” the numbers and proactively seeks growth and cost optimization opportunities.
- Able to multitask and manage changing and, at times, conflicting priorities
- Low ego, humble and extremely high integrity
IDEAL CANDIDATES’ QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- Five years+ experience in management at a mid-size/large accounting group
- Previous Controller responsibility preferred
- Manufacturing (preferably food) accounting experience is a plus
- Experience with Sage ERP is a plus
- Able to communicate clearly and manage effectively