Tax Senior Manager
Location:   Columbus, OH
Salary:   based on experience
GBQ has been a top tax, accounting, and consulting firm for more than 65 years. They are driven by the outcomes they know can change the lives of those they work with and for. They have learned that this is what matters most to their stakeholders, along with a very clear purpose: to empower the growth of their people, communities, and their clients’ businesses. It is why they exist – to drive and inspire their people, clients, and community every day.
The Tax Senior Manager is responsible for all aspects of profitability and successful delivery of tax compliance engagements. The incumbent will effectively lead and support the growth of other associates and attract new business to the Firm. This role could have a path to partnership with a personalized plan for the incumbent. The focus of this position is on four major initiatives established by the Firm: Profitability, Practice Growth, Client Focus, and Brand Culture/Development.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Actively leads all aspects of the tax planning, preparation, and review process for all tax engagements with a concentration on partnership and other pass-through tax engagements.
- Leads the engagement team, oversees all miscellaneous tax projects, and conducts complex tax research to support the client’s tax compliance and reporting. Manages client relationships including responsibility for day-to-day client contact. Performs final review of all tax workpapers and returns and ensures that all review comments are cleared prior to filing.
- Creates plans and budgets for tax engagements and ensures completion of engagements within a defined timeline.
- Works closely with member groups to identify new work and obtain new engagements.
- Oversee the majority of high priority, complex, large, and high-risk client engagements.
- Oversee all aspects of tax engagements including tax planning, preparation, and review of primarily partnership tax returns, with oversight of other tax returns as appropriate.
- Primarily prepare complex partnership and other pass-through tax returns and perform necessary tax planning and research.
- Supervise and review all work of managers, seniors, staff, and interns on assigned client engagements.
- Responsible for supervising, mentoring training and supporting the development of managers, seniors, staff, and interns.
- Review engagement profitability and prepare and analyze monthly billing for assigned engagements.
- Monitor the hours incurred by engagement team members and the progress of assigned client engagements to ensure work is completed within both a defined budget and a defined timeline.
- Achieve charge hour budget and meet hour expectations established by Firm.
- Monitor staff charge budgets to ensure staff and seniors achieve charge hour budgets and hour expectations established by the firm.
- Represent the firm and build relationships by attending fundraisers, meetings with prospects/bankers, charitable events, professional organizations, etc.
- Develop, cultivate, and maintain relationships with referral sources and clients.
- Identify new sales opportunities and develop proposals and other activities for securing new engagements with existing clients as well as new clients.
- Use developed skills in the tax consulting process to effectively diagnose, develop, and implement solutions for client problems.
- Analyze transactions, formulate tax-planning strategies, and perform tax reviews to satisfy the client’s business and tax objectives.
- Effectively manage competing priorities and projects while exceeding client expectations.
- Exhibit behavior consistent with rules of conduct of the AICPA, OSCPA, and Accountancy Board of Ohio.
- Exemplify the Brand Attributes of the Firm and promote a positive work environment for team members.
- Publicly support and ensure adherence to all administrative policies and procedures of the Firm.
- Demonstrate ability to work independently or in a team environment and exhibit confidence addressing and resolving conflict with peers, subordinates, and firm leaders.
WORK EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- BA or BS in accounting or a related field with 8+ years of public accounting experience in tax.
- Must be a CPA, background in Real Estate taxation a plus.
- Significant experience in partnership tax compliance and consulting.
- Experience with partnership structuring, entity formation, and mergers and acquisitions are preferred.
- Advanced understanding related to the tax aspects of partnership agreements, contributions of appreciated property related to 704(c), 704(b) capital accounts, special allocations, and overall experience in dealing with Subchapter K – Partnership Taxation.
- Understanding of pass-through entity taxation at various state and local levels.
- Experience and understanding of individual income taxation as a result of partnership pass-through income.
- Strong proficiency in partnership federal, state and local tax issues.
- Strong proficiency with tax research software packages and strong working knowledge of federal tax code and regulations.
- Individual will report directly to a Performance Manager who will provide any necessary guidance relative to administrative issues or work performance through the formal evaluation process.
- Responsible for the co-management and supervision of the Tax Department staff numbering more than 35 people.