General Manager - Urban Community Developers LLC
Location:   Northern Kentucky
Salary:   based on experience
- Are you looking to combine a passion for urban redevelopment and community growth with strong leadership and business acumen?
- Will you welcome the opportunity to be the face of an organization and a community-wide champion for urban re- development?
- Do you thrive on being a hands-on leader who is collaborative yet results-oriented?
- Can you work closely with an active Board and provide the strategic leadership and discipline that will keep everyone focused on the mission
- Do you identify with community service and contribution as a core value and want to find a way to serve at the same time as earn?
Started in 2018, Urban Community Developers LLC is a not-for-profit Development Corporation capitalized by private entrepreneurial investors in Northern Kentucky for the express purpose of building single family homes on infill sites---but with a high-quality of architecture and construction. Urban Community Developers is focused on developing the urban core of Northern Kentucky through the construction of traditional homes on infill locations that will change the neighborhood. The goal is to build 10-40 houses a year following this model.
We are seeking a General Manager who will have responsibility for building out the organization, identifying sites, developing, marketing and overseeing the construction and sale of housing units. The ideal candidate will have residential/urban development and construction experience and strong managerial and financial management experience and skill. Currently, this candidate will be working alone, however they will have the assistance of a very strong and involved board with plans to hire a construction manager to assist the GM.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting directly to Board of Directors, the General Manager will:
Provide Strategic Leadership
- Formalize, secure approval, lead and manage the company’s annual business plan as well as its vision.
- Lead the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of the organization’s strategies, programs, and policies.
- Serve as the “face of the organization”. Interact with governmental and community leaders, other relevant economic development, nonprofit, financial institutions, neighborhood organizations, local government, and other relevant local and regional organizations to advance the mission of the organization.
- Identify and recommend locations for urban/infill development within the urban core of Northern Kentucky (Dayton, Bellevue, Newport, Covington, etc.)
- Develop and design the concept for urban/infill houses and neighborhoods that will result in well-functioning neighborhoods. Understand buyer needs and translate that into desirable homeplans.
- Cultivate relationships and manage construction partners and subcontractors in the area.
- Ensure all construction projects are completed in a timely fashion within budget.
- Develop marketing strategies for communities, work with relators as needed.
Ensure Financial Strength
- Oversee the financial health of the organization including developing long and short-range financial plans, monitoring the budget, and ensuring sound financial controls are in place.
- Determine the ideal financing arrangements for neighborhoods and properties—be able to work with lawyers and lenders as needed.
Cultivate Board Engagement
- Support a diverse and inclusive Board of Directors that is committed and willing to leverage its influence to achieve the organization’s mission .
- Create a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board to ensure open communication relative to all aspects of the organization.
- Direct preparation of annual reports, minutes of meetings, Board of Directors meetings, Executive Committee meetings and agency reports.
IDEAL CANDIDATES’ QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Experience in fields of development, land acquisition, residential construction, or another equivalent management and development business experience.
- Experience with urban and/or infill development and construction.
- Prior budget and cost control responsibility, with strong financial acumen and a track record of generating positive financial results.
- Engaged management style that focuses on development, mentorship, and ongoing communication.
- Experience as a member of a senior leadership team.
- Experience being the face of an organization with employees, key stakeholders, and in the community.
- Active involvement with a mission-driven organization as a board member or management team member.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and comfortable as a public speaker.