Cincinnati Association For The Blind and Visually Impaired - VP of Business Development
Location:   Cincinnati, OH
Salary:   based on experience
- Do you the desire to join a purpose-driven organization?
- Can you leverage your relationships and business development expertise to identify and evaluate new product, service, and business opportunities?
- Do you enjoy leading and inspiring an effective team?
Cincinnati Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CABVI) is a private, not-for-profit organization offering comprehensive services and job opportunities for people of all ages who are blind or visually impaired.
In addition to its AbilityOne opportunities, CABVI operates two unique business lines. VIE Ability offers office supplies to commercial and State Use customers. This $5 million dollar operation has experienced significant growth since winning the State of Ohio office supply contract. In early 2022, CABVI added Route Transportation and Logistics to its expanding line of services. Route is a fully operational 3PL freight brokerage and is a wholly owned subsidiary of CABVI. Route is a fast-growing company with 50 employees and an estimated annual revenue of $45 million. Both Route and VIE Ability are purpose-driven organizations embracing the CABVI mission of providing employment opportunities to individuals who are visually impaired.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Established in 1911, CABVI provides a robust catalogue of vision related rehabilitation services. From its inception, CABVI provided employment opportunities to individuals with severe visual impairment. Today, CABVI is a comprehensive multi-service vision rehabilitation organization with a budget of approximately $75M. CABVI works to remove barriers to dreams and provide choices for individual growth, future possibilities, and economic independence for individuals with visual impairments. CABVI is in Cincinnati with additional locations in Dayton, OH and Quantico, VA. Route Transportation and Logistic is headquartered in Bradenton, Florida. With a team of more than 225 sighted and visually impaired union and non-union employees, CABVI serves and assists over 5,000 persons who are blind or visually impaired annually. Every day the agency works to ensure full lives and community inclusion for those they serve and are committed to building brighter futures for people with vision loss.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (JOB SUMMARY)
Reporting to the President/CEO, the VP of Business Development (VP of BD) is an integral member of the CABVI leadership team, leading initiatives to build new and retain existing client relationships, assuring the ongoing financial sustainability of CABVI’s business lines. Counted on to deliver significant new revenue annually, the VP of BD will provide team leadership and grow the overall capacity of the team, ensuring team collaboration with other agency segments. This role is critical in supporting the CEO in creating, building, and sustaining an environment and culture that focuses on fulfilling the CABVI’s mission, vision, and values. The VP of BD will:
- Strategically direct growth initiatives related to the agency’s service-based social enterprises, as well as State Use and commercial industrial/manufacturing opportunities.
- Identify and evaluate new products, services, and businesses to expand and diversify employment and options for independence for people who are blind or visually impaired.
- Manage existing key account relationships and develop new relationships necessary to meet goals. Engage prospects with the outcome of new business relationships.
- Ensure diversification of product lines and revenue streams to provide a variety of employment opportunities and ongoing financial sustainability.
- Direct development of key sales targets and goals for existing and new product lines; identify new products and services to the federal and state procurement lists; identify new target markets.
- Direct agency sales team and revenue initiatives for various business lines.
- Develop strategy to grow sales for commercial business lines including VIE-Ability office supplies and Route Transportation and Logistics.
- Conduct extensive, ongoing research and analysis of competitors, industry trends, market barriers to entry, and opportunities for expansion.
- Provide accurate, timely projections of necessary resources, personnel, and capital investments in partnership with pricing and manufacturing divisions.
- Ensure government sales strategies and messaging are compliant with all state and federal procurement requirements.
- Ensure pricing strategies for commercial customers are in compliance and not in competition with government lines.
IDEAL CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Management, Marketing, or related business field. Master’s degree (MBA or other) preferred
- Experience in government contracting and development highly preferred
- Experience in or knowledge of current lines of business including transportation, office supplies, and/or commodity products preferred.
- Collaborative, creative, and passionate about improving the lives of people with vision loss
- Positive attitude and sense of humor
- Strong communication skills with ability to clearly express ideas, thoughts, and concepts verbally and in writing
- 8+ years of experience in similar role or function (Business Development, Sales)
- Proven leadership ability and management experience in building high-performing teams
- Willingness to work as an effective, enthusiastic member of a team
- Strong initiative with ability to seek out relevant information prior to making timely decisions
KEY PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
Financial Acumen and Quantitative Thinking: Understands key drivers of revenue and margin expansion.
Superior Facilitation and Communication Skills: Ability to effectively work across and through the organization. Skilled in achieving consensus and buy-in to make decisions and get things done. Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills with a demonstrated ability to synthesize and convey complex ideas in a clear and concise manner.
Executive Presence: Diplomatic and team-oriented, but also able to courageously ask the tough questions.
Highly Collaborative: Equally comfortable giving or receiving direction, leading or contributing as appropriate, driving conversations with senior management or supporting as necessary.
Leadership Mindset: Focused on supporting the continued growth of CABVI, inspiring a mindset of continuous improvement and growth among employees.
Results Oriented: Desire to achieve results and a genuine passion for greater business impact. Energy and edge that serve as catalyst for action and change in the organization.
Self-Starter: Fast learner with a desire to move with urgency, accountability, and intent. Comfortable operating in a decentralized environment and managing through influence. Demonstrated proclivity for action and ability to juggle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
Credible and Trusted: Ability to earn the trust and confidence of your peers, as well as those above and below in the organization. Strong emotional intelligence and the ability to build enduring internal and external relationships.
Well Organized: Excellent project management skills and attention to detail with experience effectively prioritizing projects and meeting deadlines, ideally within a multi-unit organization. Strategic planner with the ability to prepare and execute a defined task or strategy.
Unimpeachable Business Ethics and Integrity: Act as a role model for the Company’s values and has the drive to lead by education and example. Exhibits honesty, integrity, and professionalism in all interactions. Able to maintain confidentiality.
Growth Potential: Possess the requisite technical skills, experience, judgment, and ambition to potentially advance to other senior leadership roles in the Company in the future.
You will leverage your relationship and business development expertise to identify and evaluate new product, service, and business opportunities which ultimately leads to higher employment rates for people who are blind and visually impaired. You will lead and develop an effective team and customers who are aligned with the mission of CABVI.
We are committed to attracting and recruiting a diverse pool of candidates, including those who are blind or visually impaired. Gilman Partners is committed to strengthening leadership teams and elevating the talent in our communities – and that means all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, ability, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or national origin. You don’t have to meet every qualification in this job description to apply. If you’re drawn to the position and believe your experience makes you a good fit, we encourage you to reach out.