Chief Financial Officer
Chief Financial Officer
Organization: Skyline Chili
Salary: based on experience
- Are you a strategic, growth-oriented finance leader?
- Are you energized by the opportunity to help guide an iconic brand to its next phase of success and profitability?
- Can you develop and lead a team of finance, human resource and IT professionals and collaborate with a talented senior leadership team?
- Can you engage with and support an experienced and results-focused Board of Directors?
Skyline Chili, headquartered near Cincinnati in Fairfield, Ohio, is a mid-size restaurant chain of 136 restaurants located in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, and Florida, together with an established and growing retail products business. The Company was founded in 1949 and is the pre-eminent brand focused on “Cincinnati-style” chili products. Skyline’s brand strength is derived from a unique but limited number of food offerings coupled with its best in class dine-in table service hospitality experience. Skyline’s business model consists of 32 Company owned restaurants, 104 franchised restaurants, sales of its branded chili-based and ancillary products to franchisees and grocery retailers throughout the U.S. and a Commissary facility in which Skyline products are produced.
The CFO is responsible for all financial reporting and forecasting, accounting functions, tax compliance, banking relationships, and financing activity. The CFO provides financial analysis support to all operating areas of the Company and thereby has a very broad opportunity to contribute to the success and growth strategy of the organization. This individual will supervise and direct the Corporate Controller, Human Resources, and IT departments. The CFO will also be a financial resource to the Company’s growing franchise community.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as a strategic business partner to the CEO and the Board to drive both top and bottom-line growth
- Contribute directly to business strategy and provide financial insight and data, technology guidance, direction, management, and recommendations to guide strategic decisions
- Recommend present and future technology strategies to support current and future business strategy
- Supervise the Controller, Human Resource and IT teams through coaching, training, direction, and feedback on performance
- Support enhanced financial literacy throughout the organization
- Provide internal and external reporting including Board reporting and lender reporting requirements
- Create financial modeling for future growth initiatives and re-financing activity
- Provide direction to the human resources team around compensation and benefits to ensure that the company is well-positioned to attract, develop and retain employees throughout the organization
- Support the Grocery Division with margin reviews and cost analysis of potential new products.
- Partner with the Company Restaurant Division and Franchise Division to provide revenue growth and profitability analyses and benchmarking studies with competing restaurant chains
- Create pro forma projections for new Company store locations or markets
- Support the growth efforts of the Franchise Division through analyses of unit economics relative to other franchise opportunities available in the marketplace
- Provide the Commissary Production team with labor utilization and material usage studies
IDEAL CANDIDATES’ QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required, MBA preferred
- Ten years+ experience in managing a team of accountants, HR, and IT professionals.
- Prior experience engaging with an external Board.
- Previous CFO responsibility preferred.
- Prior involvement in a robust strategic planning process
- Manufacturing (preferably food) accounting experience is a plus.
- Experience supporting a franchise model is a plus.
- Experience in the restaurant industry is a plus.
- The ideal candidate will be a positive leader, a self-starter and energized to drive business results. They will take great pride in their work and will exhibit a high level of professionalism.
- The CFO will be a problem solver through people and someone who takes pride in supporting subordinates’ achievements and recognition.
- They will effectively interact with people having a wide range of business acumen; from Board members and senior management to restaurant operators/franchisees and production staff.
- Low ego, humble and extremely high integrity
- Join a talented leadership team and help guide the growth of an iconic regional brand
- Support the continued success of a passionate and dedicated franchisee system
- Work closely with a talented Board
- Enjoy professional and financial growth
- Compensation includes a competitive base salary, annual bonus, comprehensive benefits, and the opportunity to earn phantom stock
- Relocation assistance will be provided for an out-of-town candidate
Gilman Partners is committed to strengthening leadership teams and elevating the talent in our communities – and that means all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, ability, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or national origin. You don’t have to meet every qualification in this job description to apply. If you’re drawn to the position and believe your experience makes you a good fit, we encourage you to reach out.