Director of Information Technology
Director of Information Technology
Organization: Akers Packaging
Salary: $160,000 - $200,000 + bonus
- Are you looking for an opportunity to partner with business executives to leverage IT across an organization?
- Are you excited by the opportunity to be in a well-rounded IT role that allows you to develop strategy as well as optimize business applications and infrastructure?
- Do you have a passion for and experience in a multi-site manufacturing organization?
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Founded in 1963 in Middletown, OH, family-owned Akers Packaging was established—specializing in creating custom packaging and shipping solutions, wooden pallets, and folding cardboard cartons. With customers in the automotive, food and appliance industries, Akers focused on customer service and quick delivery, providing same or next-day delivery in a time before “just in time delivery” was a term.
Today Akers Packaging has 500 employees at 14 locations across the Midwest. They have continued to focus on customer service and relationships in the last 60 years. Just as important is developing their people and encouraging them to take ownership of their job, do the right thing for the company, and continue to focus on customer service, both within Akers and with their customers.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
Reporting to the President, The Director of IT will serve as a member of the leadership team to translate the corporate strategy into short- and long-term technology initiatives to provide the support the business needs in its growth objectives. The Director of IT will establish, manage, and execute the overall projects, policies, and procedures of the IT department. Managing the research and selection of IT equipment, applications and supplies, this person will strive to meet the technology needs of the business. Specifically, this role will entail:
Strategy and Leadership
- Join forces with the executive team to craft IT strategies that support the overall corporate strategy.
- Serve as an Internal IT consultant to the Leadership team.
- Develop short-term and long-term technology objectives and strategies demonstrating where technology can improve the business.
- Develop a short-term and long-term operating and capital expenditure IT budget. Present business cases and proposals for capital projects.
- Manage and optimize support from third party vendors and MSPs.
- Develop and support an IT team of three to four employees. Schedule, organize, and assign projects to team members. Conduct performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Stay ahead of technology trends, researching and recommending the best products, services, protocols, and
Business Application Support
- Build and maintain relationships with other technical leaders and business executives to develop a keen understanding of business needs; ensure the delivery of IT services to meet those needs.
- Analyze current ERPs/business applications used across the company and sites, recommend solutions for optimization of tools, lead projects for upgrades, implementations, consolidation of systems, etc.
- Look for ways to continually leverage the ERP system to support the needs of the business.
- Assist departments in their specific system implementations (ie, HRIS).
- Champion a move to a more automated and paperless environment across the business
- Ensure IT is providing daily operational support across the organization at all locations.
- Develop and implement business continuity protocols to minimize disruption to business operations in the event of emergency situations or data loss.
- Analyze IT infrastructure and systems performance to assess operating costs, productivity levels, upgrade requirements, and other metrics and needs.
- Assess current IT risk and compliance matters and implement appropriate corrective actions. Ensure data and systems are secure.
- Manage the phone system.
- Maintain inventory of company assets – ensure that assets are being updated in a timely, regular fashion.
IDEAL CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- 10 years of progressive experience in IT
- 5 years of experience in a leadership or management role of an IT department
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science; master’s degree or MBA preferred
- Solid understanding of current manufacturing technologies and practices
- Experience with multi-site IT support and management
- Knowledge of supply chain management in a manufacturing environment including ERP systems
- Experience in leading an IT infrastructure function
- Ability to travel to other sites (mostly in the Midwest) as needed—20% travel estimated.
Gilman Partners is committed to strengthening leadership teams and elevating the talent in our communities – and that means all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, ability, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or national origin. You don’t have to meet every qualification in this job description to apply. If you’re drawn to the position and believe your experience makes you a good fit, we encourage you to reach out.
This role is based in Middletown, OH and the Director of IT will be expected to be in the office daily. At this time remote / hybrid arrangements are not available.