Chief Financial Officer
Cold Springs, KY
Organization: Combined Public Communications
Salary: based on experience + generous bonus and benefits
- Does working in the technology industry sound exciting?
- Are you interested in joining a dynamic company that offers new challenges?
- Would you like to work for a company that cares about its employees so much it became an ESOP?
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Since their inception in 2000, Combined Public Communications (CPC) has been creating connections through communication within the county prison system. CPC’s vision is to inspire progression in the criminal justice system for incarcerated individuals by providing resources, support, and opportunities that change lives. CPC’s founders had 22 years in the industry before creating CPC, which is why they are one of today’s industry leaders. CPC offers some of the most sophisticated technology in the country to county jails which includes secure telecom, tablets, texting, jail management and video visitation. Each day they strive to continually improve and develop more affordable and simplified ways to keep people connected and encouraged during their time of need.
In 2021, CPC became an ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) company. As an employee-owned company, their team members value the importance of establishing a strong foundation for customer success. Every employee has ownership in the company, driving the dedication and success of CPC.
Reporting to the founder and CEO of CPC as well as the Board, CPC seeks a Chief Financial Officer to join the executive team to continue their path of growth and innovation.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
The CFO will manage the accounting and finance team, responsible for the day-to-day transactions of the company. In addition, the CFO will be a vital contributor to the strategic process, a hands-on manager/operator that will serve as role model for high performance, and an advocate for vision who will execute strategy to achieve that vision. The CFO is essential to continued growth, profitability, and development of all team members at CPC.
- Serve as a strategic business partner to the CEO and leadership team to drive both top and bottom-line growth.
- Contribute directly to business strategy and provide financial insight, direction, management, and recommendations to guide strategic decisions.
- Develop a deep understanding of the operations of the company to contribute to strategic company decisions in addition to its impact to accounting and finance.
- Serve as primary leader of key relationships such as Banking/Lenders, Insurance, Legal, etc.
- Work with the legal team to understand how to protect company contracts.
- Work with lenders to understand the timing and needs of CPC’s financial support.
- Travel and visit county jails/trade shows to better understand the market.
- Stay abreast of activities related to the market CPC functions within. Understand operational concerns of a regulated environment.
- Develop and manage the accounting and finance talent and – as necessary – modify organization structure (roles/responsibilities) to facilitate company growth. Effectively lead staff by providing clear expectations, opportunities for skill and job growth development, and timely constructive feedback.
- Possess a strong drive to succeed and show ability to adapt to shifting priorities.
- Develop and lead CPC’s annual financial plan and oversee routine forecasts throughout the year.
- Assist with review and development of customer contracts to include forecasting, pricing analytics, profitability analysis, bundled pricing support, etc.
- Craft proposals and RFP’s to respond to potential clients.
- Understand the business sufficiently to:
- explain financial results in a business context (provide the story behind the numbers),
- understand the operational concerns of working in a regulated environment
- recommend present actions that will augment future financial results,
- recognize and proactively exploit opportunities for improvement
- Understand and analyze business results for presentation and support the leadership team and other stakeholder’s requests for financial information.
- Analyze projected revenue stream/EBITA from anticipated capital expenditures.
- Support enhanced ESOP financial literacy throughout the organization.
- Roll up your sleeves to understand multiple disparate systems tied to each product and its resulting revenue generations and accounting processes. Attend technical meetings as need to understand the accounting programs that are involved in producing revenue for products.
- Work to continually improve and maintain sound financial policies and processes according to General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Ensure CPC is compliant with various governmental and legal requirements and lead or participate in audits/reviews when appropriate.
- Provide financial reporting for a number of stakeholders in their preferred formats/timing including:
- CPC Leadership
- Board of Directors
- Banks and Private Equity Investors
- ESOP administrator
- FCC-Federal Communications Commissions
- Learn the business to be able to recognize variances in the financial data and work internally to identify causes and solutions.
- Understand general economic, business and financial conditions and anticipate their impact on the company results and plans.
IDEAL CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related experience.
- CPA or MBA helpful but not mandatory
- 10+ years of business, accounting, and finance experience
- 5+ years of experience in a leadership role
- Demonstrated success in evaluating/vetting myriad business opportunities and planning/implementing multi-faceted growth strategies
- Ability to attract, retain, coach, develop, and lead others
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Skilled at building productive business relationships.
- A strong work ethic and desire to succeed is essential.
- Must be a self-starter with the confidence to make decisions and the ability to be creative.
- Must manage own time effectively; adaptability, accuracy, and timeliness of work is very important.
KEY PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Self-motivated, self-starting, dynamic entrepreneurial spirit
- Accepting of, and equally effective in, a support or a leadership role
- Patient and positive in client and colleague relationships
- Leads by example, earns trust, and builds consensus
- Strong leadership ability, team management and interpersonal skills
Gilman Partners is committed to strengthening leadership teams and elevating the talent in our communities – and that means all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, ability, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or national origin. You don’t have to meet every qualification in this job description to apply. If you’re drawn to the position and believe your experience makes you a good fit, we encourage you to reach out.
This role is based in Northern Kentucky / Cincinnati and will require the candidate to reside locally or relocate to the area. At this time, the role will be in the office daily.